Wednesday, November 24, 2010

last minute Thanksgiving cupcakes


I wish I could have taken more step by step pictures but I left my camera in my car. :(

Ingredients:
1 can of vanilla frosting
2-inch slice pound cake
1 cups corn flakes
Green frosting
12 vanilla cupcakes baked (yellow cake box mix)
12 thin pretzel sticks
1 bag of round Carmel's (you can use the square ones too but my walmart didn't carry them)
Course salt
Maraschino cherries
Runts

For Cornucopia cupcakes
I put about 10 carmel bites in the microwave for 15 seconds and flattened the carmels into one circle. About the size of a cup, and then I shaped the carmel into a cone/cornucopia shape. I then added some frosting to the inside of the cornucopia and placed a few runts in and coming out of the cornucopia. I used green frosting to make it look like it was on lettuce. For a couple I used the green wheaties mixture.



For cherry cupcakes:
I just flattened a few of my cupcakes so that I could put my maraschino cherries on a flat surface. I realized I didn't have yellow frosting so when I stop by the store today i will pick some up and add a lattice design. I think they look good the way they are too maybe a few star pipes with white frosting for "whip cream".

For turkey cupcakes:
Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place the corn flakes in a large bowl.  Heat the green frosting in a microwave-safe bowl until liquid, about 10 to 15 seconds, stirring well. Pour the frosting over the corn flakes and toss until completely coated. Pour the coated corn flakes onto the prepared cookie sheet and spread out into a single layer. Allow the corn flakes to dry, about 30 minutes.
 Meanwhile, cut the pound cake into 1/8-in. cubes; cover until ready to use.
 Cut the pretzel sticks in half. Soften several caramels in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds. Flatten a caramel slightly and place one end of a pretzel stick in the center of the flattened caramel.
Bring the caramel up and over the end of the pretzel stick and shape into a drumstick. Trim the overhanging end of the pretzel stick to 1/2 in. with a serrated knife.
Microwave several caramels at a time to soften, about 3 seconds. Press the caramels together and roll them out to a 3-1/2-in. diameter. Cut caramels into a 3-1/2-in. circle with a round cookie cutter or the opening of a glass. Cut out an opening for the stuffing about 1-1/2 in. wide and deep.   Place the caramel skins between sheets of waxed paper. (The drumsticks and skins can be made up to 4 days in advance and kept in an airtight container.)
Place a mound of vanilla frosting on top of a cupcake; top with a caramel turkey skin. Tuck the edge of the caramel in 1/4 in. from the edge of the cupcake. Use a small knife to push the caramel into the frosting: it will make the turkey look plumper and give room for the lettuce corn flakes. Pinch the ends of the caramel opening; some of the frosting will pop out. Press some of the cake cubes into the frosting as the stuffing.
Lightly brush one side of each drumstick with a bit of water. Press each drumstick to each side of the stuffing opening. Hold several seconds to secure. Repeat with the remaining drumsticks.
Add the green corn flakes around the edge of the cupcake to look like lettuce. Use some vanilla frosting if necessary to help secure. Pipe dots of vanilla frosting on the ends of the pretzel sticks to look like the ends of the turkey bones. Add more cake cubes as stuffing if desired.
Sprinkle the top of the caramel turkey with some course salt. You could also use cinnamon. I just like how well carmel and salt go together.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a recipe similar to this in one of my Taste of Home magazines! I really wanted to try it but don't have the time to make them.

    I would love for you to link this up to What's Cooking Wednesday!

    http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/11/chicken-spaghetti-casserole-1124-whats.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! So cute! Thanks for sharing, found at Somewhat Simple link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I wish I could make cupcakes like that! I'm featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogpsot.com. Grab my "featured" butotn.

    ReplyDelete