Monday, November 29, 2010

crinkle card board owl ornament



I love this guy! Sorry I wish I could have taken more pictures as I was going but my camera died and I really wanted to get this posted. My Mom first showed me this on West Elm. I thought that would be so fun to make since I had some crinkle cardboard left over from a package I ordered.

I started with the body. I put a little glue on one of the ends of cardboard and started rolling the cardboard into the circular shape. My pieces we're small so at the end I just added a little more glue and continued rolling. Until my circle was about 5 inches in diameter. I then went to the eyes and did the same as the body to about a 2-2 1/2 inch diameter. I had some brown marbles laying around that I hot glued to the centers of the eyes. Of course you could use buttons or anything else you have in the house. I hot glued the two eyes together and then to the top of the body.

For the eye brows I traced two leaf shapes, connect the bottoms so it's like a uni brow shape. On a  flat piece of crinkle cardboard. Hot glue it behind the eyes.

I cut a rectangle shape about a half an inch long and cut a triangle shape for another half inch for a total of an inch long for the nose. I then hot glued the rectangle side between the eyes and for the triangle you can hot glue it to the body like I did or you can leave it extended out.

For the feathers I cut out 14 leaf shapes and hot glued them to the back of the owl's body.

To finish the owl off I put some fishing string in between the eyes and the eyebrows.

8 comments:

  1. I love this! I saw a cute little ornament at Crackel Barrel that I loved but wasn't sure how to recreate. Now I am full of inspiration :D
    Thank you for linking up to the first ever "Amaze Me Monday" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute and creative! Thank you so much for sharing it at Homemade Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not believe this is made out of cardboard.
    How amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool! Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the texture the cardboard creates. What a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Just wanted to let you know I featured this today for the Homemade Christmas Gifts roundup. Thanks again for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a GREAT recreation. It looks just like the real one. I have the original one from WE, and once I received it, I told myself I could make that. Now, I have lots of cardboard from an order I got yesterday. So, I'm going to attempt to make one today.

    ReplyDelete